Paper Hearts by Maureen Child


http://amzn.to/2gwlQKm
The menfolk of Buckshot, California are rattled – Emma Taylor is back from finishing school, and she wants to fancify them. She insists they wear suits to the annual Valentine’s Day dance. Suits! When Emma sets her mind to something, she don’t give up. Look at how she chased Sheriff J.T. Phillips for years before her pa finally sent her away!

J.T. would do anything for Emma now that she’s all grown up – he’d even learn to dance. She’s the most breathtaking woman he’s ever seen. But when she offered her heart to him once before, he broke it… will she ever trust him with it again?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13541376-paper-hearts?ac=1&from_search=true

Title: Paper Hearts
Author: Maureen Child
Series: /
Pages: 59
Genre(s): Historical, American
Hot Buttons: /

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This short book is set in a small town in the American West - probably in the late 1800s at my best guess.

It’s written in gosh shucks language that I would characterise as typical of the American old west which I personally thought was well done. It was actually really adorable. However, I’m very much aware that I’m not American so I don’t have the cringe factor that some might have if it’s not 100% accurate.

Emma was quite young and, I suppose, a little bit bratty, but I strangely loved that about her. I saw parts of myself in her that just wants everything to be perfect and wants everyone to improve. She's got a determination and her good intentions tend to make her so single minded she forgets to check if it's actually for the best or if the other townsfolk really want her 'improvements'.

J.T. was Emma’s complete opposite. Calm, cool, collected and completely befuddled by Emma and what was going on in her mind. It was hilarious to watch him scramble about trying to figure things out, especially while she was doing her best to avoid him and stop herself from loving him.

There was a spark of sexiness in the book - and surprisingly a sex scene despite the book being so short (59 pages) but it definitely falls on the cute and sweet side of the scale for me.

I’ve never read Maureen Childs’ before but I liked her style. She made me laugh, she made me sigh and she made me fall in love with her characters as they themselves fell in love.

If you’re looking for a quick afternoon read to make you smile - I’d recommend this to you.

This story was first published in the 1993 anthology, Sweet Hearts, under the pen name Kathleen Kane.



------------------------

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.